Sunday, March 23, 2008

PHOTO SHOOTS - TIPS & LESSONS LEARNED
















A PHOTO SHOOT IS......

Glamorous? Not always.

Fun? Absolutely ... but you must create it.

Easy? Not hardly.


These are just a few possible misperceptions about being in a photo shoot. I can certainly remember all the excitement I felt way back in 2002-03 when my first photo opportunities started happening. Since that time, I've learned a whole lot. I'll include some samples of these shoots of "way back when" just for fun. I've met some incredible talent in this industry, and am so very thankful for the countless opportunities I've been a part of.

1. My first recommendation to those just starting out, know your photographer and his/her work. Ask for references, and ask to see samples of their imaging. If they don't have some sort of website or profile on a Modeling Network site, beware. Ask to read a copy of the contract ahead of time (should be easy to get it on email). If you look at the sample of this photographers work, and you aren't impressed, then don't schedule time with them. There are so many others to choose from.

2. Get involved in a Modeling Network - no matter how new you are, this is a valuable tool by which to learn. Study what's going on in the industry. It also allows you to expand your horizons beyond just fitness/bodybuilding. Spend time looking at other models profiles that you admire. Study how they present themselves. Also study the photographers, this is how I've found some of the most amazing talent. Some sample networks I recommend are www.modelmayhem.com or www.onemodelplace.com - both are long standing reputable sites. It took a long time for me to finally learn that aggressive networking within these sites will build a name for yourself. Just because you have a profile there, does not guarantee you will be noticed.

3. Ask questions of the photographer, like what his/her vision is of shooting with you? What will the "plan" be (make sure there is one). Ask if you will get a full cd of all the images, or whether the photographer intends on keeping them all for his/her use. This happened to me because I did not do my homework. I was paid for my time, however, the photographer asked me to reduce my fee significantly and said that his wife was a makeup artist and she would do my makeup. Ended up I did my own makeup, and he kept all the images. He said I could "buy" any image for a fee of $50 each. I went into total shock and anger. But this was a hard lesson learned, because I assumed I would get images. Had I carefully read the contract I signed, I would have been aware.

4. I would ask to contact other models who have shot with said photographer. Find out what type of experience they had, and what type of turn around time for getting copies of images? I've had some extremely frustrating times getting copies of images that I am due.

5. Ask the photographer if he/she is going to offer any "refined" images, and if so, how many? This might be important, because if any of the pictures need "touching up", these photographers can do amazing things which result in some impressive photographs. A well seasoned photographer should offer at least 6 refined images as part of the arrangement.

6. If you are providing the apparrel, then be sure to organize it neatly. If you take accessories, be cautious. I used to pack gazillions of accessories to coordinate with the outfits. Many years later, I realize that accessories can actually be a big mistake. They potentially stand in the way of how the photographer can showcase YOU. So unless this is a fashion shoot, with a high focus on jewelry, try to keep it simple. Pack a lightweight robe, you'll be so glad you did. It helps with those wardrobe changes. Wear non marking BIG COMFORTABLE clothing to the shoot ... a photographer hates to see lines in the skin from a bra strap or something. EEEEK.

7. MOOD and FOOD, both very important. So take a GOOD MOOD and some GOOD FOOD. Pack a couple of small snacks! There's nothing worse than working long hours and having no food on hand. Headaches can set in, which is a sure MOOD killer. And speaking of MOOD, this is not something to take lightly. A good mood will bring you great results, so take steps to be prepare for this. Eating right and sleeping right before a shoot are essential, and will serve you well.

All in all, these are great opportunities to capture a moment in time. Make the mark of your accomplishments. Love yourself, and it will showcase well in your images. I hope this might be an interesting read for many, and if it helps even one person to feel better prepared for a shoot, I'm smiling.

1 comment:

fotographx said...

Very good comments on what should happen at a shoot from both sides. You have some good insight for newer models.